Friday 7 October 2011

Breaking the Ice

So it's been nearly a week since I've been in French territory. There have certainly been some highs points, lying on a beach in Ajaccio, eating my bodyweight in bread and cheese and discovering that school dinners in France are to die for.It's easy to understand why there is not one single McDonald’s on the Ile de Beauté And undoubtedly, plenty of situations where I've had no idea what's going on in a conversation so I've just nodded, laughed or stroked any nearby pets by way of avoiding

saying "Pardon" for the upteenth time. Yesterday one of my students likened me to Paris Hilton, I would like to think that has more to do with the fact that blonde haired people are few and far between in this neck of the wood and less to do with what the fact I'm making a career out of being pointless.

Landing in a foreign town knowing literally no-one is definitely a sink or swim situation! In the short time I've been here, I've realised people are very willing to help you, but you have to make the effort and break the ice, however painstaking the small talk is in a foreign language.

On the running front, I was disappointed to discover that the beautiful beaches are not in easy reach braving the concrete jungle, I've run along roads complete with hair-raising drivers careering around every bend. Not ideal but needs must when you're surrounded by incredible food. However I've discovered a running track about 10 minutes away which should make for a much better run.


A bientôt!